The discovery of gold in the Yukon in 1896 had generated a rush of miners and speculators. In 1898, in order to support the NWMP in maintaining law and order, an Order-in-Council authorized the formation of the Yukon Field Force. The 203-man force was mainly constituted of 133 soldiers from The Royal Regiment of Canadian Infantry and 46 Gunners of The Royal Canadian Artillery (14 from Kingston and 32 from Québec) with two 7 Pdr RML guns. After tremendous difficulties, the Force finally reached their two main destinations, Fort Selkirk and Dawson City, in September and October respectively. The Force carried out garrison duties and other tasks normally done by police and customs officers. Once the troops returned to their home stations they were replaced by a small militia unit, the Dawson City Rifle Company. The Force reported to Inspector Sam Steele of the Mounties.
This website is owned and operated by the Royal Canadian Artillery Association, a private, third-party to the Department of National Defence. The content and links appearing on this website are the responsibility of the Royal Canadian Artillery Association and do not reflect the views or policies of the Government of Canada. Open-source information regarding the serving components of The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery is provided courtesy of the Canadian Armed Forces. The official insignia of the Regiment are used with the permission of Regimental Headquarters RCA.