Formation of the Permanent Force 1871
In Britain, the pressure to make self-governing colonies responsible for their own defence was particularly high, and, in 1871, all the British troops in Canada, with the exception of the Halifax and Esquimalt garrisons, were withdrawn. The permanent element of The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery originated on 20 October 1871 with the formation of A and B Batteries of Garrison Artillery in Kingston and Quebec City respectively. These two batteries represent the creation of Canada’s Permanent (Regular) Army and are the oldest continuously serving regular component in the Canadian Forces. The Batteries also functioned as Schools of Gunnery and schools of instruction for all militia officers until the Cavalry and Infantry Schools formed in 1882.