Post-War Vigilance 1945-48
In May 1945, The RCA contributed three field regiments, an anti-tank regiment and a LAA regiment to the Canadian Division serving as occupation forces in the British Zone of Occupation. They would remain there until the summer of 1946. Most of the remaining units of the Army, which had been activated during the war, were now deactivated or transferred to the Militia. In 1947, the Canadian Army Active Force was established with an authorized strength of 25,000, supplemented by a Reserve Force of 50,000. In 1946, 1st Field Regiment RCHA, which had returned to Petawawa after the war, was renamed the 71st Regiment RCHA, and was moved to Shilo, Manitoba, when the latter was chosen as the permanent site for the Royal Canadian School of Artillery (RCSA) (Field, Medium and Anti-Tank).
The Army was again not intended to be large during peacetime. The Active Force artillery consisted of the 71st Regiment RCHA, the 68th Medium Battery, RCA, and the 127th Anti-Tank Battery, RCA at Shilo, the 128th HAA Battery, RCA and the 129th LAA Battery, RCA at Picton, Ontario, and E Section Signals (71st Regiment RCHA), Royal Canadian Corps of Signals. In addition to the school in Shilo, two others were formed: RCSA (AA) at Picton, and RCSA (Coast and Anti-Aircraft) at Halifax. In 1948, the 129th LAA Battery was re-designated HAA and moved to Esquimalt, British Columbia, together with a Coast Artillery Training Section – RCSA West Coast. The School at Halifax was re-designated RCSA East Coast that same year.